[Etoys] Translucency on the desktop issue

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Fri Oct 12 02:46:01 EDT 2007

Hi, Karl, and thanks.

This problem dates back at least six years.  But it should be fixed
-- see the preamble to the recently-published update
1698setAsBackgroundFix-sw.  Basically, given Morphic's display
architecture, there should not be any translucency in the world's
"color".

And it's always been possible to set the world's "color" from its
viewer, and the resulting color picker has always offered
translucency as an option, and it's also always been possible to get
a property-sheet on the "world", from which one could readily set its
color to have translucency.

So what's different now is only that with the presence of the recolor
icon in the world's halo, a color-picker for the world is one step
closer in the UI.

The cleanest way to deal with the problem is probably to use a custom
color-picker which does not offer translucency as an option.  A less
strenuous solution, albeit less ideal, would be to intercept any
attempt to set the world's color and strip any translucency from the
proffered color (or colors, if it's a gradient fill) before accepting
them.  Actually, we need the latter bulletproofing in any case, so
probably we should do that first...

Cheers,

   -- Scott