[Etoys] [Squeakland] "dramabotics": Questions about using Bots Inc forstorytelling

Laurence Rozier laurence.rozier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 06:42:47 EDT 2007

Offray,

You can use

aMorph setBalloonText: 'some text'

to change the text displayed when you mouse over but the attached changeset
probably does something closer to what you want. I loaded it into a BotsInc
image and it seemed to work fine. From the comment in the changeset:

This changeset provides a somewhat generalized means of have a morph
communicate. Right now the default(and only) implementation uses
BalloonMorphs but the code is setup to use any object which understands
#string:for:. Text-To-Speech should be pretty easy to implement. These
methods provide options not available with showBalloon: which keeps the
balloon onscreen until a mouse event occurs. Also showBalloon: clears any
existing balloons so two morphs can't display balloons simultaneously with
showBalloon:(see example below). No unit tests are provided but the
following lines exercise the core capabilities.

e _ EllipseMorph new openInWorld.
e sayHelp
e say: 'something'
e say: 'something' duration: 7
e after: 2 say: 'something'
e after: 2 say: 'something' duration: 7

At some point the balloon morph could be returned so that it's contents and
the duration it stays on screen could be tested.

b_ RectangleMorph new openInWorld
b showBalloon: 'testing'.""is never seen""
e showBalloon: 'me too'

These speech balloons can be seen in action in videos
here<http://www.griotvision.com/background/gStickPresentationARR.mov>and
here <http://www.bopspace.com/how-to/space-hosting/>(in Wonderland).

HTH,

Laurence