[Etoys] [Squeakland] "dramabotics": Questions about using Bots Inc forstorytelling

Offray Vladimir Luna Cardenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Wed Oct 10 19:14:23 EDT 2007

Hi Karl,

karl wrote:
> BotsInc is maybe not the best in environment to do this experiment as it
> has lots of safeguards against the full Squeak IDE.
>
> I have not found any real support for the thing you want to do in either
> Squeakland or OLPC image.
> If you want a quick solution you could try Scratch
> (http://scratch.mit.edu/) which has pretty good support for this kind of
> animation and talk bubbles.

Thanks for your quick answers. We have tried Scratch, but the
programming options of a drag & drop syntax prevent us for using a lot
of options of Squeak. This syntax is cool for beginning but at some
point you reach the expressive barrier and you need a more flexible way
(that already happen with etoys last semester and with Scratch at the
beginning of this one). We have already accessed to the methods browser
and we're even changing some of the default behavior of Bots Inc, for
example the help bubbles of the robots (for the moment we're working
only on translation), so I will keep trying with Bots Inc., so I will
rephrase my question:

How can I change the default bubble message of an object (particularly
a Bot) in a dynamic way... I mean without going every time to the
methods browser ?

Sorry for being so stubborn... I learn a lot of the Squeak community all
the time, but I think that dramabotics is not a so crazy idea If I can
learn how to teach to speak and dress to the robots (actors).

Cheers,

Offray