[Etoys] intro to Smalltalk

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Oct 8 15:32:25 EDT 2007

Walter Bender wrote on Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:08:20 -0400
> I've not played with it, but I wonder if something like that, set up
> in a manner akin to Pippy for Python, could be a nice bridge
> between Etoys and a general purpuse SmallTalk. Hitting View
> Source inside of Etoys could launch a Botsinc session?

On the other hand, it also makes sense for "view source" to work at the
eToys level. You can point to some object and see the tiled scripts
associated with it. Though there is already an eToys-only way of doing
this (call up the halo for the object, press the "eye" button), it would
be nice to bind the key to this operation since it would be used far
more frequently than a "let's go deeper" command.

> On 10/8/07, karl wrote:
> Stephane Ducasse's BotsInc is a nice micro smalltalk environment and
> does not expose the whole class library at once.
> You get to do text editing, use a limited browser, see the debugger etc

This is a very important thing to have. Even though Adele Goldberg's
LearningWorks tool was created for adults (which are much more timid
about exploring things than children), such an environment can avoid
many initial frustrations (raw Smalltalk is a bit like running your apps
in the kernel mode instead of the user mode).

-- Jecel