[Etoys] Squeak VM status concerning language encodings

birbilis birbilis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 06:20:13 EST 2007

Στις Πεμ 29 Νοε 2007, ο/η Chris Petsos έγραψε:
> >> Hello to all. I would like to ask if there is utf8 support in the
> >> Squeak VM
> >> currently. I know that in the past only 8-bit encoding was
> >> supported by the
> >> virtual machine. Is it the same nowadays? I am considering the
> >> addition of
> >> the greek language which requires utf8 to be supported by the VM.
> >
> > UTF-8 is supported. The "etoys" script now runs the VM using the "-
> > encoding UTF-8" option.
>
> Nice...birbilis, why don't you try to open the image from "ellak" inside
> the OLPC having the new UTF-8 enabled VM and see how it goes?
>

> http://www.ellak.gr/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=103&id=ellak:olpc_
>etoys_greek_supportCurrently, i don't remember if a have removed the
> switches thatdifferentiate Windows and Unix behaviour, but it's worth
> trying... Ifkeyboard input works correctly, then we are a big step
> forward...Christos

Tried that, but when i switch k/b layout to greek and try to insert text in
e.g. a textbox area, i only get non-sense symbols as if the squeak
environment does not recognize utf8 greek symbols. Greek fonts in the
greeding message appear just fine which means that the fonts are there...