[Etoys] How to distribute amd install MO for Apps

Karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Tue Nov 20 12:31:59 EST 2007

Karl wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> compiled methods can be included in a segment. The problem is that
>> after loading the segment, references ("outpointers") have to be
>> fixed up - for example, all symbols must be made to point to the
>> symbol instance in the image, otherwise you would have duplicate
>> symbols. And we accumulated a lot of cruft over the years that is
>> performed on project load time - fixing up fonts, migrating instances
>> to new class layout etc. Working this out would be very valuable.
>>
> I have looked into this a little.
> There is a framework for creating conversion methods in the image but it
> is broken.
>
> To test make a new project, add a new morpic class, open the morph in
> the project and publish.
> Restart Squeak and load the project. You will be prompted to type in a
> new class name, a debugger pops up, and a Inspector.
> Once you get past that you will see the project view on the desktop but
> you will also enter the emergency debugger :-(
>
> I hope once the issues are fixed we can just file out the conversion
> files and include them in the projects instead of the whole
> change sets and projects will load faster.
> Conversion methods can also be in the image.
>
> Karl
> ______
Forget previous mail. What is needed is a change set with just the class
definition for every new class in your project.
The big catch is it seems _every_ object needs to be referenced in the
project or it will not be accessible.
I just tested with DrGeo, I made a change set with just the class
definition, and could open a project
but all the functionality was missing  :-(

Karl