[Etoys] can't install Squeak on Ubuntu 7.10 -- could not finddisplay driver vm-display-X11

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:59:04 EST 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 8:10 pm, Bryan Berry wrote:
> Perhaps the sound didn't work because I did not have the
> build-essentials package, the alsaplayer-common or alsaplayer-alsa
> packages installed. Maybe this should have been obvious to me but I am
> less than a Linux guru.
If you are able to play sound files on your desktop, the problem is not with
alsa. It is just that Squeak is waiting for your sound server to release the
audio device. You need to turn on the auto-suspend on idle option of your
sound server in desktop configuration settings.

For instance, on KDE desktops, press ALT+F2 and run the "arts" command. The
last section gives you the Auto-Suspend option.

Hope this helps .. Subbu