[Etoys] can't install Squeak on Ubuntu 7.10 -- could not finddisplay driver vm-display-X11

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:40:37 EST 2007

Offray,

Thanks for your help. I tried the instructions on your website but it
still didn't work. I got a lot of errors during the configure that it
couldn't find a great number of header files

I have a Centrino Duo processor on my laptop and I am running Ubuntu
7.10

I finally did get it to work by installing the

Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz tarball from squeak.org

I had tried this earlier and it had installed successfully but the sound
didn't work. It was extremely frustrating because I was showing our
activities to some education groups yesterday and I could show off our
cool audio features.

Perhaps the sound didn't work because I did not have the
build-essentials package, the alsaplayer-common or alsaplayer-alsa
packages installed. Maybe this should have been obvious to me but I am
less than a Linux guru.

OLE Nepal is creating activities for the entire math and English
curriculum for grades 2 and 6. We're trying to make the activities cool
enough that kids learn stuff but familiar to the teachers so that they
aren't intimidated. We have 2 teachers that guide our activity
development and they are quite awesome. Check out our current activities
here: http://nepal.ole.org/home/?q=node/73