[Etoys] First use of OLPC feedback (bugs, suggestions, questions)

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Mon Nov 12 11:22:38 EST 2007

2007/11/11, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr>:
> > We agree very much that "the Smalltalk part could be made easier to
> > access", this is what my several calls to the Squeak community were
> > about, without much response so far.
>
> I would like to comment on that without the intention to be nasty.
> Just sharing up my thoughts
> on that. We spent a lot of time on 3.9 integrating a lot of changes
> (besides traits which could be removed and
> apparently scared a lot of people for no reason). Taking 3.8 as a
> basis for OLPC was a clear message that
> all these efforts to improve Squeak were not interesting. So after
> that why would I spend time

Of course we care about the effort to improve Squeak in 3.9, and we want more.

Retaining the maximum compatibility between squeak-olpc and squeak3.9
seems to me very important if you want to optimize the energy flux
from the Squeak community.

So in one hand it is not possible to cut the root from the Squeak
community then in the other hand blame it to not embrace. It is bad
understanding of free software community to not care about that.

Personally I will always stick to main Squeak 3.9 (and following
version) for development with the hope porting to Squeak-olpc will
still be possible.

Best regards,

Hilaire