[Etoys] How to distribute amd install MO for Apps

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Nov 11 11:36:52 EST 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 15:23 , korakurider at yahoo.co.jp wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>> A SAR may or may not be the best packaging. It could actually extract
>> a .mo to the default directory, so we would just have to support an
>> additional path for .mo files.
>     Current gettext emulation stuff can support search path list
> for MO
> and even dynamic registration of additional path.  so it is easy to
> add
> the default path (that is sand box of rainbow, right?) to search list.
> Difficult part is that the registration have to be restored also.
>
> (I think we need to start write down "the good practice for app on
> OLPC
> Etoys" to document the rule / convention.  This discussion is the
> first
> step.)

Yes ... people will have to get familiar with Sugar I fear. We can't
abstract away everything.

>>> So only way to provide translation for apps is that preload apps and
>>> rename image and package them as RPM.  I would like to hear your
>>> thought.
>> No, apps must be packaged as .xo files. We will just have to find a
>> way to support this. SImilar to what I did with the DiceWars xo
>> bundle a while ago.
>     As I have been working without Sugar/emulation environment, I
> haven'
> t figure out what is the hurdle to support it...

Once OLPC has some XOs to spare we should definitely get you one.
Thanks for doing all this work without even being able to test directly!

When I find a bit of spare time I will look into Sugar in an emulator
again. It's too bad that not even the stable build is working :(

>>> (I understand we have similar issue with additional font...)
>>
>> The font can simply be saved in the default directory, just as we do
>> now I think.
>     No, I was refering about not saving font file, but registration of
> additional font to image and its restoration, as you and Luke are
> discussing in http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4604

Ah. That problem will be solved when we switch to Pango - we do not
have to import the fonts anymore. Not for Update.1, unfortunately.