[Etoys] DRGEOII and ODECo on OLPC

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Sat Jul 7 03:30:05 EDT 2007

I am not sure exactly what is an activity. If an activity is more like
an application in its own, I may think latest version of DrGeoII (what
I call DrGeoI-service) is not anymore only in that category.

First version of DrGeoII was like an application on its own with a
system window. But it was not the best option to compose your own
educative resource or learning activity. For example to create an
interactive book (ie BookMorph) about geometry, you may want to have
interactive geometry canvases (kind of PasteUpMoprh) you want to
insert in pages of the interactive book. Then you want to dispose in
the same page a few icon buttons to manipulate the canvas.

See screen shots:
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/?post/2007/06/23/Dr-Geo-II-un-composant-Squeak
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/?post/2007/06/28/Le-squeak-pour-lOLPC

The good news is that DrGeoII only use Morph (with same abstraction
layer), so from the geometry canvas you can do really what you use to
do with Morph, and of course you can plug any additional Morph in the
geometry canvas (Text, Image, video, Conncector between geometric
object or even plug another geometry canvas...)

Hilaire