[Etoys] some comments

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Mon Aug 27 09:39:23 EDT 2007

Scratch, besides being a very neat "other system
for kids" in Squeak, also has really fabulous
documentation, website, etc. They have done so many things so well!

Mitchel and I talked a lot about this in the
offsite that our two groups have each year (held last week).

We also discussed the big differences between
having great documentation and having great curriculum materials.

There are also important differences between a
productively environment (Scratch is aimed at
productivity) and an educational one (EToys is more aimed in this direction).

Kathleen Harness from U of Illinois is a teacher
who has done lots of great documentation for
Etoys and is currently doing a large amount of stuff for the OLPC version.

One thing that could help from this list is for
people to submit scenarios of how they think the
out of the box experience should take place.

Cheers,

Alan