[Etoys] problems with event recorder and event theater

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Wed Apr 18 21:16:08 EDT 2007

Hi, Phil,

I've not seen this problem, and so far no one else has reported it,
so it has been hard to investigate it further.

So -- assuming you're still encountering it -- please help us track
this problem down...

* What *platform* are you operating on?  (Actual XO machine?)

* Please describe, as precisely as possible, a short sequence you've
recorded whose playback exhibits the problem.

* If possible, please enclose a ".pr" file that illustrates the problem.

Getting "off registry" has always been a big potential problem with
the Event Recorder.  Since an event-recorder "tape" consists
primarily of nothing more than time-stamped mouse events, with
absolute x-y coordinates, as soon as there is any disparity between
locations of any objects at the time of the recording and at the time
of playback, there's the potential for malfunction.  The motivation
for the "Event Theatre" (as opposed to the bare EventRecorder) was
specifically to minimize such problems by assuring that recording and
playback take place in circumstances that are made to be compatible.

If there's really a bug here, we need to catch it.  So hopefully you,
or perhaps some other readers of this list, can help us isolate it.

Sorry nobody got back to you sooner on this.

Cheers,

   -- Scott