[Etoys] A few notes on eToys interface - playing with latest eToys in olpc

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 8 21:12:43 EDT 2007

On 2007 April 8 04:50, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2007, at 3:44 , Milan Zimmermann wrote:
<<snip>>
> > I added there a brief description with links on how to run OLPC
> > eToys without
> > the laptop available (emulation or rpms), hope that is ok.
>
> Sure. Although the simplest is to run just the image on your favorite
> Squeak VM. The latest image and projects is always here:
>
> 	http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip

Ah I see. I thought the changes in OLPC VM mean this can no longer be done.

I added another way to run eToys OLPC (for Content Creators, Testers) by
installing Squeakland and dropping OLPC eToys image on it. Instruction
including some screenshots are here

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys#Running_OLPC_eToys_if_you_do_not_have_OLPC_laptop_yet_-_For_Content_Creators.2FTesters.2FTeachers

(so far Windows only, I use Linux but I think most such users will be
Windows.)

> There are people interested in OLPC etoys who are not familiar with
> Squeak, so OS specific instructions would be helpful I guess.

I agree - I do not know how to do Mac if someone can describe it I could add
it there.

> Running like this won't get you Sugar integration, but unless you
> specifically want to test or develop in that area, it is fine. We
> need a lot of testing and content development independently of Sugar ...

Yes - what content is the eToys team looking for (which age group etc)?

Milan