[Etoys] A suggestion for inter-app communication on the OLPC: OSC

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Fri Sep 29 14:43:26 EDT 2006

On Sep 29, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Markus Gaelli wrote:
>> If you have a hammer the whole world looks like a nail? Or could Open
>> Sound Control fit to the "Instrument whose music is ideas"? ;-)
>
> I had understood that dbus was supposed to be the universal
> communication system for OLPC. But I don't know anything about it
> other
> than that the latest version of Skype needs it but the dbus build in
> Gentoo is broken so I can't install it on this machine :-(

Ah, ok. I am also ignorant about dbus too.
This one helps:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7744
Interesting. Though hard to get hands on dbus with the OS-X I am
using also:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2006-September/005844.html

There is a dbus squeak implementation done by Daniel Faken:
http://www.visoracle.com/squeakfaq/dbus-inter.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2005-May/002673.html
I haven't tried it

I have not found an "application starter service" though this should
not be too hard to implement - or exists already probably.

But: One cannot directly send messages to other computers via dbus,
nor does it work for interfacing apps like csound.
So it's a solution to talk to (and maybe start) other applications -
but not for everything. Grrr, no silver bullet again... ;-)

So, shall the csound experience of Squeak be based on the services
TamTam already might provide (if it was connected to the bus) or do
we want/need a direct csound interface?

And: Anyone up for trying the dbus implementation of Daniel in Sugar?

Cheers,

Markus

.