[Etoys] The Event Roll

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 26 02:26:40 EST 2006

Hi, Alan, and all,

The first alpha release of a new event-tape-editing tool, called the
"Event Roll", has now been published to the etoys/olpc2.0 update stream.

Click on the magenta "?" buttons on the Event-Theatre and the Event-
Roll to obtain instructions and hints.  The text of these help
messages could still stand improvement, but may be adequate for
getting started.

A few important things to know and watch out for in this initial
release:

(1)  To get the halo on any token in an Event Roll, hold down the
SHIFT key as you halo-click on it.

(2)  Do *NOT* overlap mouse-event-sequence tokens in an Event Roll.
It's fine to move them or resize them, just don't let any two of them
overlap, since once the time-stamps of unrelated mouse event get
mixed together, it is impossible to separate the individual sequences
again.   I'll bulletproof against this in January.

(3)  The event-theatre work at present does not play nicely with
event-recordings that span multiple projects, nor even with nested
invocations of event-theatre-based playbacks.  These loose ends will
also be addressed in January.  For multi-project event-tapes, please
continue to use the "traditional" event-recorder (rather than an
"event theatre,") and, for now, in such event recordings do not mix
event-theatre-based sequences with other event recordings.  Sorry
about this limitation -- hopefully it can be sorted out in the new year.

(4)  To *move* an event-roll, alt-drag it.  Or, to drag it without
using a modifier key, pick it up by clicking on the area near the
left edge where you see the "mouse", "keyboard", and "media" words

(5)  The "keyboard" track at present only deals with *keystrokes* --
not with individual key-down and key-up events.  This is because the
underlying event-recorder mechanism for capturing key-down and key-up
information seems quite inconsistent and unreliable.

(6)  After you've made an event-recording, if you want to add
voiceovers you can do it in either of two ways:

   [a]  Play back the recording with the "sound" panel open (triangle
control at bottom-right of event-theatre); once you start playback, a
button will appear in the sound panel offering the opportunity to
record voiceover.  Hit it when you wish, and record your voiceover;
hit "stop recording voiceover" when you're done.  You can do this
multiple times per pass through the event tape if desired, and you
can can make multiple passes through the tape.  Every voiceover you
record will appear in the Media track of the Event Roll at the
appropriate place.  You can remove an unwanted voiceover by just
picking up its token in the event roll and dragging it out.

   [b]  Alternatively, use a separate, traditional, Squeak "Sound
Recorder" to record a snippet of voiceover.  It may help to play back
the event tape as you do this.  When done with a sound snippet, use
the "Morph" button on the sound-recorder to get a little rectangular
"sound morph" that represents the sound; drop that little rectangle
where you want the voiceover to appear in the event roll.

I will be out of town, and probably mostly (or entirely) away from
internet connectivity, until the first weekend in January.  I invite
my colleagues Takashi and Yoshiki to support and improve these tools
in any way they wish, if they have time and inclination; in any case,
once I am back I will pick up the pieces of this work, and will try
to deal quickly with bugs and other issues that have arisen in the
meantime.

Cheers,

   -- Scott