[Etoys] Impressions on B1 Machine

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Mon Dec 25 07:47:35 EST 2006

Hi Andrew --

Here are two white papers about Etoys. The first gives the gist of
what they are and how they are used for education. The second is a
discussion about how media can be made in simple ways in Etoys.

http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_learning.pdf

http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_authoring.pdf

There is quite a bit more available http://www.squeakland.org
including a book "Powerful Ideas in the Classroom". And quite a few
example projects and projects done by children.

There are a number of separate chapters to this book available at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys_projects . This wiki page hasn't been
added to the external wiki yet. The chapters can be downloaded by
clicking on the captions of the pictures. (Eventually) clicking on
the pictures will download the actual example projects.

As I mentioned in a previous note, it would be a very good thing for
there to be more continuity in how scripting is done with children
aged 3-5, 6-8, 9-11 (Etoys is aimed specifically at this age range
but works OK for a few years either side), 12-14, 15-18. Each of the
age ranges needs somewhat different treatment, resources and UI.

I have been trying to get the Python community to do a special
children's environment, either along the lines of Etoys or better
(but not worse), partly on the grounds that the XO is Python-based,
and that the Python community is larger out in the world, and thus a
Python based system is likely to be more changeable and fixable by
the receivers of XO. From the standpoint of our rallying cry
"Children First", this would be a very good result.

However, I have also suggested to the Python community that they take
the time to see how and why the underlying Squeak environment is so
integrated, complete and portable. This should provide some ideas
about how to make Python more like a felicitous place to live as well
as being a useful toolbox.

Cheers,

Alan