[Etoys] Re: Camera to do

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at consultar.com
Tue Dec 12 04:22:46 EST 2006

Hi Bert,

Great to know the camera is working (slowly, but it's working).

I did know the performance is not good, and I can try to make it faster.

BTW I still didn't find the way to create a test-environment. The alpha
board doesn't include the webcam, and I didn't find any webcam with the
same video format (to plug it in the alpha board).

Kim said I'll receive an beta prototype. In this case, I'll just wait to
develop in it. Kim, can you confirm it?.

Otherwise I'll need an ssh/telnet account to a running beta-board. Bert,
Is working the WIFI/LAN in your prototype?

Bert, I DO need a picture of the webcam working on the beta-board... to
post it in my blog! ;-)

Cheers,

-- Diego

> As I wrote in the other message, the btest machine's camera works,
> but it's really slow right now even at 320x240 (the camera actually
> supports 640x480). We'll have to optimize it significantly to be
> usable. We should allocate a 16 bit form and let the plugin read the
> camera data right into the form bits. Then only do an in-place
> palette conversion (YUYV8888 to 2xRGB555). This hopefully will be a
> lot faster than the current version, which first converts to a 24 bpp
> bitmap and then to a 32 bpp form using float math for contrast/
> brightness adjustment which is then drawn on the 16 bpp display.
> Anybody up to implement this?
>
> We maybe also could learn from the camera demo activity. AFAIK, it
> streams directly into the framebuffer and uses the Geode's video
> overlay/scaling/color conversion units. It achieves full-screen full-
> speed video.
>
> As an aside, the VideoMorph's controls do not work for me, I can not
> change the resolution in the dialog.
>
> - Bert -

 Diego Gomez Deck