[Etoys] New RPMs

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 11 15:46:51 EST 2006

Hi folks,

I just released new packages, for both image and VM. If you
configured yum, this should work:

	yum update etoys squeak-vm

Otherwise, you can download from

	http://etoys.laptop.org/

We have switched to the 2.0 update stream now.

When running in Sugar, the image is notified when the activity is
focused so it can turn off sounds while in background (see class
SugarLauncher). You can test this without Sugar by creating a command
pipe manually:

	mkfifo /tmp/squeak
	cat > /tmp/squeak

In a second shell, run etoys:

	etoys sugarPipe /tmp/squeak

Make a project that repeatedly plays some sound. Then, in the first
shell, type

	DEACTIVATE

to turn sound off and

	ACTIVATE

to reactivate it. A welcome addition would be a way to test this
outside Sugar. It should work on OS/X although I do not have tested
it, yet. Might work on Windows, don't know if it has named pipes.
Anyway, some testing would be nice.

A second new addition is Diego's V4LPlugin that allows to access the
camera under Linux. I patched it to recognize the palette used on the
Btest machine's camera. It's working - yay Diego! :)