[Educators] A guy teaching in Africa shares his experience using OLPC's XO

Marife Mago marife.mago at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 12:20:36 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

Re-tweeting this twit RT  @OLPC ...This is long, but interesting. A guy
teaching in Africa blogs his experience using the OLPC...

http://jessemcv.blogspot.com/2009/06/laptops-and-appropriate-technology.html

Let me share the part that I concur on....

"I still believe the basics: food, water, health, and shelter need to come
first. I am still skeptical of projects like OLPC. However, I also realize
that the lifestyles people want will never transpire without higher risk
projects. I believe that hardnosed pragmatism needs to be tempered with an
acknowledgment of what people want from their lives. If people want
development, and they do, the higher risk ventures are needed. Many projects
like OLPC’s and Farmer’s will fail, but sometimes they will succeed, and
when they do, they will do more to advance people’s quality of life than
appropriate technology ever could."

Thanks Jesse!

Cheers,
~mafe