Into 2019: XOs Laptops & software upgrades

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jan 3 04:50:55 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 10:26:30PM -0500, tkkang wrote:
> Happy New Year.
>
> Good to see the release of 13.2.10 OS for XO1 to XO4. Great work from James and
> new developers who just keep making it better. With that I hope 2019 can be
> more productive for deployments still using XOs.
>
> I have a few things I hope to see if he XO can function properly.
>
> 1. Can Python 3.6 and above be installed. If Yes how?

On an XO-4 running OLPC OS 13.2.10, the latest version of Python,
which is 3.7.2, does build like this;

yum install -y gcc make zlib-devel
./configure
make
make install

Here's the interactive interpreter running;

Python 3.7.2 (default, Jan  3 2019, 08:52:48)
[GCC 4.7.2 20121109 (Red Hat 4.7.2-8)] on linux

However, there are other optional dependencies that should be
installed first, so that the build has all the features possible.  The
Fedora 18 source package for python3 has a good starting point for
dependencies.

>     Like to see if this could work [1]https://codewith.mu/en/tutorials/1.0/
> microbitas           new   Python needed

mu may need other dependencies.  You may need to experiment for
several iterations.

> 2. What is the best Firefox version that will load and and run on XO 1.5 to
> XO4? Need the good HTML 5 support.

Firefox installed by yum does have "good" HTML 5 support, but the
sites you refer to may require more than that.

> Currently I could  not run firefox for [2]
> https://www.edblocksapp.com/toprogram Edison Robot or [3]https://
> makecode.microbit.org/for Microbits
>
> 3. Ways to load restricted so

> [1] https://codewith.mu/en/tutorials/1.0/microbit