can one "dd" XO-1.5 internal microSD cards, to another XO-1.5?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Feb 19 17:40:50 EST 2018

Stripped of your superlatives, yes.

It isn't just .sugar, there's also .config.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Imaging/Side_effects describes the exact
steps to do before duplication.

Get it wrong and you will break collaboration of Sugar activities.

Certainly unfortunate that said Ace Teacher isn't Ace enough to find
or develop expertise.

The microSD card connector has a limited life, as does the display
cable, so I'm all for opening and closing it many times so you have to
buy new laptops!  ;-)  Better would be to use SD cards.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 05:10:58PM -0500, Adam Holt wrote:
> James & All,
>
> Will it work if one extricates an XO-1.5's internal microSD card and then
> places it inside another XO-1.5?
>
> e.g. allowing an Ace Teacher to make her own customized images offline in
> Haiti, with the power of a screwdriver, then simply re-assembling her very
> small collection of XO-1.5's after the "dd" duplication of microSD's is done.
>
> If this works, I will ask her to run "rm -rf /home/olpc/.sugar" first, in order
> to delete all personal info on the master/template laptop, if she really cares!
>   Context for this potential Lifesaver: the Ace Teacher does not and cannot
> realistically use these more professional tools that we are would normally
> advocate for:
>
> [1]http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder
> [2]http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tiny_Core_Linux
> [3]http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_stick (deprecated!)