Re (3): low battery shutdown

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Mar 2 17:55:43 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 02:34:28PM -0800, peter at easthope.ca wrote:
> In a second test, using the machine without
> external power,  the warningless shutdown happened
> at about 25% charge level.

That's an improvement, but it could be random.

> From:	Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com>, Tue, 1 Mar 2016 21:45:14 -0500
> > As others have said your battery is probably just showing its age.
> > 1.5 was built in 2010-2011 so unless you got a new battery its 5
> > or so years old.
>
> The machine was used when I purchased it about
> three years ago.  Likely the battery was original
> then and I have not replaced it since.  Yes, this
> is probably the factory original battery.

Likely to be showing age.  The battery serial number has a date
embedded in the sequence, in case you want to be sure.

> > If you do run the capacity test I'd be interested in seeing your results.
>
> I've glanced at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Batman .
> Will have to read more carefully before trying
> a "capacity test" and collecting any power log.

Wrong link.  For a capacity test, do not use Batman, but use
olpc-pwr-log from the Terminal activity.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Capacity_test

> FWIIW, a full charge in the battery still runs the
> machine for more than an hour.

That doesn't sound like much.

> Any comments about having the battery rebuilt
> by a local shop vs. trying to buy a replacement?

Discussions on this have ensued on a private mailing list of
volunteers, hopefully they'll post here some day!

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/