Fwd: low battery shutdown

Mike Dee mikedee4 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:30:15 EST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Dee <mikedee4 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: low battery shutdown
To: peter at easthope.ca

You might need "batman".

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery

Start here

*First, take a quick look at the battery, especially the black connector
which contains the contacts that electrically connect the battery to the
laptop.* Dried green crystals have been spotted around the connector on
non-functional batteries on some occasions. This is from decomposition of
the contact metal due to electrolysis in water. This may be cleaned with
baking soda mixed with water, using a toothbrush. Wash your hands well
afterwards. This may recover the battery, unless the contacts have become
badly corroded.

*Perform an XO Full Reset <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Full_Reset>.* If
you know the problem is localised within a battery, this is unlikely to
make any difference. Nevertheless, lets do it now to be sure.

*Disconnect the battery, and connect the laptop to AC power*. Now turn on
the laptop. After the system has loaded, insert the battery.

*Does the battery LED start flashing red?* If so, jump to #Battery LED is
flashing red
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Battery_LED_is_flashing_red>
.

*Does the battery LED start flashing yellow?* If so, see #Battery LED is
flashing yellow
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Battery_LED_is_flashing_yellow>
.
*For more information on the battery LED, see [2]
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Power_management#Battery_LED>.*

*Is there no apparent response in the battery LED?* See #Battery detection
diagnostics
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Battery_detection_diagnostics>

Now fully charge the battery, and wait for the battery LED to go green. Now
disconnect AC power and discharge the battery while the system is running,
keeping an eye on the percentage charge.

*Does the system shut down abruptly with over 10% of charge remaining?* If
so, see #Laptop shuts down abruptly with significant charge remaining
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Laptop_shuts_down_abruptly_with_significant_charge_remaining>
.

Now, starting with the battery completely discharged, perform a #Capacity
test <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Capacity_test> of
the battery.

*Is the battery capacity significantly lower than that of the rated
specification?* If so, see #Battery capacity is significantly degraded
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Battery_capacity_is_significantly_degraded>
.