[UKids] StarTech USB2VGA discontinued--XO laptop to Smart Board ideas?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Feb 6 11:49:14 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> Hi, Adam
>
> With help from Gerri Light, the students at ggast are going out to
> neighboring schools to support the introduction of computing. Naturally, it
> is
> unlikely that they would transport a projector or a whiteboard as part of
> the kit. (I imagine something like Nathan Riddle's deployment in a bag).
>
> As I recall, the XO-4 has an hdmi port. That should be a practical
> alternative to access a projector (and, likely, a white board). However,
> for some reason,
> Rwanda is deploying XO-1.75 and not the XO-4. However, if helpful, perhaps
> Gerri Light could bring an XO-4 on her trip in March.

Great thoughts.
I also got thoughtful feedback from Jeff http://Elkner.net in DC:

"We have Smart Boards in our classrooms where I work, and I've avoided
using them as anything but large projection screens due to the lack of
solid support for GNU/Linux systems.  There are supposed to be drivers
available for 32 bit Ubuntu systems, but I found the obstacles to
setting up the software and (even more importantly) finding the
license information required to use it to be not worth my effort."

Tony