how to install essential codecs from rpmfusion to, gstreamer 1.0 comparable to current script for gstreamer0.1

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Feb 2 03:19:36 EST 2016

Hi, James

Clearly installing codecs for mp3 and mp4 does not meet anyones
standards for software freedom. I notice this issue did not impact
OLPC's decision to support importing WIndows XP.

I really have no idea now who this OLPC is that makes these interesting
decisions. OS-builder is brilliant software but useless for needs of a
deployment. First, it requires technical expertise and access to the
internet. It is also not compatible with the 'locked' state of the XO
in Rwanda.

I have never used (or intend to use) the update feature. The software
should not be changed during a school year (except in the case of some
emergency defect in Sugar or Fedora). Between school years, the upgrade
is accomplished by reflashing the XO to the new Sugar level.

Updating multiple laptops is made more difficult by another interesting
decision - not to support nandblaster. However, this is a
manageable restriction (multiple usb keys and time).

I will try your recommendation to provide an update to the install of
the codecs to gstreamer 1.0.

The switch to libav is an example of another interesting trend in open
software, the substitute project - e. g. Libre Office, MariaDB, and libav.

There is no issue of refusal, I deeply respect your products. In this
case, they don't fit into the deployment environment over which I have
no control.

(by happenstance, I have to delay sending this email because my internet
connection has been lost).

Tony