[UKids] re:new member

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Apr 24 11:01:10 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 24 April 2016 at 07:34, Xo Tom <xo-tom at gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> [I also use the xo4 indoors in black/white mode because for longer texts
>> reading and writing the monochrome display is more convenient than
>> conventional color displays.
>> And that already leads to my hardware question, because the contrast in
>> black/white of the Xo4 is not as good as the Xo1. The Xo4 has a darker
>> display than the Xo1. Is there a special reason why the new display is
>> darker?] I would like to use the Lcd of the Xo1 in the Xo4, replacing them.
>> Do you think that works or could there be a problem with the touch function?
>>

> The XO-1 screen has no touch function

My recollection is the XO-4 Touch laptop has the same core LCD screen
technology as XO-1 except for some physical tabs to make it (the very same
1200x900 LCD's originated from Mary Lou Jepsen & All) fit in a bit
differently.

I could be wrong, but possibly these new plastics-or-metallic bits allow
the screen to bounce better on dropping of the laptop, to reduce screen
shattering?

Certainly the (multi)touch functionality of XO-4 Touch screens arise from
IR (InfraRed) sensors that stand physically above the LCD screen by a few
millimeters.

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !