olpc-dm/Xorg segfault only if during systemd boot

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 14:14:19 EDT 2015

Context:
XSCE server code loaded on 128GB SD card running on XO1.5. We've added lots
of services, and for generic servers, disabled the GUI (systemctl disable
olpc-dm).

But for aesthetic reasons, it might be more attractive to start up in
sugar/mate, and return the memory, if the user really wants to serve
clients. ( set it back to default.target => multi-user.target).

Observations:
Xorg starts, flashes the screen, and gives up (systemd retries about 32
times and gives up)

The /var/log/Xorg.log shows a segfault immediately after "VIA 3d engine
enabled" during systemd boot. But interestingly, if ollpc-dm is started
after systemd has completed, olpc-dm brings up Xorg successfully.

So there may be a dependency, which without all the additional services, is
properly sequenced.  We may need to delay olpc-dm until after that
dependency is satisfied.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening? Or additional tests I
might perform?