OS builder XO1 image on SD card boot questions

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Sep 2 23:39:13 EDT 2015

No worries.

13.2.5 for XO-1 was built with v7.0 branch of olpc-os-builder.

The packages.txt file written by the builder is in the download tree:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/13.2.5-17/

And it has kernel-3.3.8_xo1-20150317.1153.olpc.7ceb87d.i686

Which is the latest in the dropbox:
http://rpmdropbox.laptop.org/f18-xo1/?C=M;O=D

Which worked for me when I last tested boot from SD.

If it's that kernel, and it hasn't worked for you ...

a.  is the laptop locked?

b.  does the same kernel work properly if it is on the NAND Flash?

c.  does it work if you use olpc-dev-kernel to unpack the .zip files?

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 07:43:25PM -0700, George Hunt wrote:
> I realized that rpmdropbox f18-xo1 would be the place to look for recent
> kernels.  I'm feeling slow tonight.
>
> Thanks again
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 7:28 PM, George Hunt <[1]georgejhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     James,
>
>     Thanks for the information. You are a wonderful source.
>
>     Do you know of a publicly visible kernel for XO1 that was built with 0.7.7
>     version of dracut-modules-olpc?   I looked through  the ini files at the
>     os-builder git repo, and they all seem to point to kernel rpms built before
>     6/2014.
>
>     Rpmdropbox for f20-xo1 supplies
>     [2]kernel-3.10.0_xo1-20130716.1755.olpc.c06da27.i686.rpm
>
>     If not, not a problem. I guess I'm being lazy.
>
>     On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:19 PM, James Cameron <[3]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>         Work the first problem first.
>
>         dracut will complain like that if the OLPC module fails to discover
>         the root filesystem automatically.
>
>         Identify the kernel package you've used.  Ensure that it was built on
>         a system which has installed the 0.7.7 version of dracut-modules-olpc,
>         which contains external SD card boot support, from 2014-06.
>
>         The secure boot method (runos0.zip) does not support boot arguments;
>         that would violate the whole point of secure boot.
>
>         --
>         James Cameron
>         [4]http://quozl.linux.org.au/

> [1] mailto:georgejhunt at gmail.com