Logitech USB wireless keyboard with trackpad on XO-1.75

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Sep 18 21:48:47 EDT 2014

This deserves a new thread, as it is not related to purchase of
replacement keyboards.  So I'm changing subject of post and including
your post below.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:47:13AM +0000, tkkang at nurturingasia.com wrote:
> I plug a logitech wireless trackpad with keyboard on to a
> XO1.75. The keyboard is recognised but not the trackpad. No luck
> with just a stand alone wireless mouse also.
>
> Are there things I need to do to get wireless input access on the
> XO?

Yes.

There are too many Logitech wireless trackpads with keyboard to be
able to identify your particular device; could you please supply the
model number, and the USB vendor and product identifiers shown by the
"sudo lsusb -v" command.

There are too many ways in which a device may present the USB HID
(human interface device) features to the host computer; if you can
provide the "sudo lsusb -v" command output then I can check that.

You may need to "sudo yum install -y lsusb" to get the lsusb program
installed.

Moving on to speculation:

Some devices are not intentionally supported by OLPC OS, for reasons
of space.  It is possible to add support.

Some devices are not sadly not supported by Linux.  This particular
device is unlikely to be affected, since other references to it show
support on other Linux distributions [1].

Our ticket #12616 [2] seems likely to be the cause of your problem.
Please check to see if any of the workarounds in that ticket fix it
for you.  In particular, try stopping olpc-kbdshim process,

	sudo systemctl stop olpc-kbdshim.service

But this also disables keyboard and touchpad idle detection, rotate
key, touchpad and arrow keys screen rotation support, grab scrolling
key, volume keys, and brightness keys.

You might also try the MakeyMakey activity on Sugar Labs [3], which
uses the same workaround.

+CC Paul Fox, for interest as olpc-kbdshim author.