Status of marvell-ipp

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Oct 8 01:19:19 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 12:00:19PM +0700, James B wrote:
> Thank you James.
>
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 07:55:44 +1100
> James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 01:46:44AM +0700, James B wrote:
> > > I'm the maintainer of a small desktop Linux OS (FatdogArm) which
> > > runs on many ARM platforms including OLPC XO-1.75 and XO-4;
> > > together with Yioryos we released support for OLPC late last
> > > year.
> >
> > Great!  Got a link?
>
> Here (currently beta2 release).
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/arm-index.html
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/arm-latest.html

Thanks.

> XO-4 was supported since alpha2 (a year ago), XO-1.75 since beta1
> (March this year).
>

> > > I have recently looked at video playback acceleration and have
> > > successfully managed to get it going for other platforms, so I'm
> > > thinking to do so on OLPC as well. Before I start, though, I'd
> > > like to ask you about the status of marvell-ipp
> > > (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Vmeta) as of today?
> >
> > I think this page is up to date, and have been repeating the
> > installation instructions on 14.1.0 (Fedora 20) in the past few
> > days, but haven't finished verifying yet.
>
> I didn't build FatdogArm using the OS builder, and the last time I
> look at OS builder I couldn't find the repository URL
> there. Admittedly, I didn't look too deeply into it ...

Yes, it isn't there.

> > > I checked the OLPC git repos and rpmdropbox and I can't get the
> > > marvel-ipp binaries there.
> >
> > Yes.
>
> So you're saying that they aren't public? But if they can be pulled
> by OS builder, they are public, aren't they?

The marvell-ipp binaries we host for Fedora builds are not public.

olpc-os-builder can be configured to pull private resources, and the
Wiki page describes how that is done.

The marvell-ipp binaries we host for Android builds are public, as Ben
has said.  There's a license file in the same directory.

> > > I can actually find these binaries by doing google search (and
> > > the binaries were clearly marked for OLPC usage) but I would
> > > rather be in the clear when it comes to licensing - are these
> > > licensed to OLPC so that they can be used in any OS that runs on
> > > the XOs, or are the license more restricted than that? (ie: no
> > > license at all, license per region, official OLPC OS only, etc,
> > > etc). If it is licensed freely, then is there an official
> > > location where I can get this binaries?
> >
> > Sorry, I don't know.  I have only vague recollections.  Any
> > research would be costly.
>
> No worries - perhaps others in the list know something? For
> practical purposes I can use the binaries I've found and go ahead
> try to make use of it, but these binaries are not distributable
> there is little point of doing that.

I doubt if the Fedora marvell-ipp binaries are distributable, given
how they are currently hosted, and the text of the Wiki page.  "These
are closed source libraries provided by Marvell."

> Yioryos asked the same question last year but for more specific case
> of the usage of libvmeta in flashplayer and only for XO-4 case
> (these binaries weren't publicly available too, but we managed to
> fish it out from Australian F18 distribution - perhaps you were the
> one packaging it :) ).

No, I work for OLPC in Miami, in the United States, not OLPC
Australia.  I just happen to live in Australia.  ;-)  Confusing, I
know.

> This time around the it is for the more general purpose of using
> libvmeta as general codecs, for both XO-1.75 and XO-4.

I understand.

> > Instead, why not look at:
> > https://github.com/etnaviv/etna_viv
>
> Thanks, but etna_viv is the 3D driver for GPU acceleration. I may
> look into that as the Vivante driver in the XOs has definite
> problems too, but the question I'm asking (marvell-ipp) is for more
> media playback acceleration (h264 codecs and the like). (Btw the
> vivante 3D driver - libgfx etc are in the rpmdropbox so that's not a
> problem).

Good to know.

Are there H.264 codecs and the like you can obtain from other places?

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/