gnome applet can't initialize Clutter

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat May 10 16:35:21 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Scott Chapman <scott at mischko.com> wrote:
> Paul,
> The Gnome Control Panel is not present in the build.  Am I missing something
> or is it left out also?

You aren't missing anything - based on feedback from OLPC's
deployments we always tried to ship a minimal GNOME environment
without too much configuration.

You are welcome to make your own changes to add more bits, but
unfortunately the control center will not work for the same reason as
the bluetooth applet, mentioned at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.0#GNOME

> How do you edit the menu system in Gnome without it, etc?

Looking at the gnome control center on my non-XO laptop I don't really
see any menu configuration options there. Really the menu contents are
defined automatically by the apps that are installed.

But GNOME does indeed have some underlying configuration which can
affect the appearance. If you clarify exactly what you're trying to
do, maybe someone will check if it is possible and if so, look up the
exact gconf/gsettings command invocation for you.

Daniel