gnome applet can't initialize Clutter

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sat May 10 16:30:07 EDT 2014

scott wrote:
 > Paul,
 > The Gnome Control Panel is not present in the build.  Am I missing
 > something or is it left out also?
 >
 > How do you edit the menu system in Gnome without it, etc?

i think you need to think about this differently:  this isn't a gnome
laptop.  this is a sugar laptop, with the ability to do some gnome
stuff if you need to.  we didn't used to include gnome at all -- gnome
was added because at some point the laptops got faster and had enough
storage, and because one of our deployments wanted to be able to run
some applications that weren't sugar-compatible.  but when things got
difficult (e.g., gnome3), we had to choose between getting a release
out the door or not.

paul