gnome applet can't initialize Clutter

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat May 10 15:14:38 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Scott Chapman <scott at mischko.com> wrote:
> How do we find that version?

It's not that simple. The GC2000 is a design that's sold and is made
up of a number of components (2D, 3D, video decoding etc) which
vendors can chose which they pay for. You then have to adjust the
drivers to work with the SoC you purchase (Marvell MMP3 in the case of
the XO-4, MMP2 in the case of the XO-1.75) and in some cases there is
or isn't external video RAM and other things that need to be taken
into account too. You then have to taylor the video drivers for the
platform configuration and build them and ship them if you're lucky
enough to have access to the source or deal with the upstream SoC
manufacturer if your not, the code is closed so it's not something
anyone can do.

>From memory we only shipped the 2D drivers, I don't remember the
reasoning. You'd have to ask OLPC the reasons or if the 3D components
exist.

You could possibly do mesa based CPU rendering to make it work but it
wouldn't be fast. I know there's work upstream to offload some of the
CPU SW based rendering to the NEON extensions for ARMv7 that would
work for for the XO-4 but not the 1.75 (it doesn't have a NEON engine)

Peter