gnome applet can't initialize Clutter

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat May 10 15:14:10 EDT 2014

Hi Scott,

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Scott Chapman <scott at mischko.com> wrote:
> We don't have opengl support in the X drivers because of the video type on
> these?

There is indeed a GPU capable of 3D graphics in the hardware, but we
never completed the engineering effort required to make
OpenGL/OpenGLES work in our software offering. We did try, but it was
hard and the closed-source nature of the drivers made our lives
unreasonably difficult, it was not our top priority, and we did not
get it working right. Sorry about that.

> I wonder why OLPC published a build with Gnome if it is this broken?

Any complex desktop product is going to have software bugs, and sadly
it seems like you ran into one. However, outside of this limitation, I
think you'll find that our minimal GNOME environment mostly works.

Bluetooth is indeed a bit unexplored on this platform. During XO-4
development we did the necessary hardware and driver work, but did not
have many resources to devote to offering a bluetooth user experience
- this was planned to be addressed in a future software development
cycle, and/or by OLPC's customers who were requesting bluetooth at a
hardware level.

Daniel