Boot Menu for XO

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Mar 16 21:30:37 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:57:41AM +0000, tkkang at nurturingasia.com wrote:
> Yes, multi-user Sugar will be fantastic for demo and in situation
> where 1:many usage is needed. As I am not technical enough I hope a
> build for that will surface soon :-)

No, I won't be doing a build, it isn't something OLPC needs.

I've just proven it mostly works, as a customisation of OLPC OS:

sudo su
adduser me
passwd me
passwd olpc
yum install -y gdm
chkconfig olpc-dm off
chkconfig gdm on
rpm -e olpc-switch-desktop
reboot

Fonts are too small in Sugar.  Logout option missing in Sugar.  The
nickname prompt is unnecessary.  No activities are loaded for the new
user.  Activities aren't shared between users.  People on sugar-devel@
can probably help you fix these things.

A graphical way to add accounts might be useful.  Fedora people would
be able to figure that out.

Possibly a few other lurking problems.

> The instruction work and it is a rest for my thumbs, fingers and
> eyes :-)as I keep the SD inserted and manually type the command
> instead!

You can copy /bootpart/boot/olpc.fth to /bootpart/x and then at boot
type

	boot int:x

--
James Cameron