Activity Central's Sugar related priorities.

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Mon Oct 7 13:24:06 EDT 2013

Disclaimer: These are my personal views, and are not the official views of
OLPC.

   - It should be fine to discuss anything Sugar-related on the
   sugarlabs.org development lists.  Sugar Labs does not use any OLPC
   hosting services, and is an independent group as part of the Software
   Freedom Conservancy.

   - I cannot comment on future OLPC hardware plans.  If OLPC was to
   publicly announce their intent to go in a similar direction the
   laptop.org mailing lists might be appropriate; however otherwise they
   may not be.

   It sounds like you are discussing a software change for different
   hardware than anything OLPC related though.

   Other vendors besides OLPC have sold laptops with Sugar preinstalled on
   top of Fedora or Ubuntu in the past, so you are not breaking new ground.

   - Updating the Sugar release in Ubuntu sounds like something everyone
   could benefit from, not just Dextrose users.  Is there any reason not to
   base most of this work starting with upstream Sugar & existing Ubuntu
   packages?

   - In general one of my frustrations lately is that now that we no longer
   publicly review patches on this mailing list, everyone seems to be
   developing their own version of Sugar.

   While some of these changes may make it back upstream it would be nice
   to see EduJAM and OLPC-SF discussion about trying to limit this.

   I know Activity Central is trying to publicly state a bit what they're
   up to, and Walter does his weekly "state of the union" reports.  I also
   personally hear some private updates as well.  But the different working
   styles of the various groups is starting to confuse me as to which way
   Sugar is going as a whole.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM, David Farning <dfarning at activitycentral.com