[ANNOUNCE] Fatdog-ARM Linux for the XO-4

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Oct 6 19:54:45 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 10:32:17PM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > Does not boot if the files are unpacked onto internal eMMC and no
>
> > external SD card is present.  Workaround: edit olpc.fth to ensure
> > mmcblk0 is used regardless.
> >
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> However, we do not want to affect the original XO OS.

Don't worry about that.

1.  for laptops in deployments where this is important, the laptops
are locked and won't be able to install your build,

2.  the OLPC OS is very easily reinstalled, insert USB drive, hold
down four keys, press power button,

3.  external media such as SD card and USB drives are not always
available, but internal media is always available,

> That is also why we do not provide zd images that would be easier to
> install.  People that want it in the internal eMMC  should know how
> to do it too ;)

For people who want to try your build, you have made it harder for
them, for (in my opinion) no good reason.

You need not use zd images.  A simple Forth script would do fine.

ok d# 4096 fat32-partition int
ok copy u:\fd-arm.sfs int:\fd-arm.sfs
ok mkdir int:\boot
ok copy u:\boot\initrd.4 int:\boot\initrd.4
ok copy u:\boot\vmlinuz.4 int:\boot\vmlinuz.4
ok copy u:\boot\olpc.fth int:\boot\olpc.fth
ok bye

Can also copy out members from within .zip file using Open Firmware.

If you wanted to set up a barrier to booting from internal storage,
there are probably more logical methods.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/