Auckland Testing Summary 23 March 2013

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Mar 25 22:19:34 EDT 2013

On 03/25/2013 02:03 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
>>> Battery life on XO-4 C2 seems significantly improved over previous builds.
>>> We would be interested in a confirmation or otherwise of this in the power
>>> log analysis.
>>
>> I guess you are comparing to 13.1.0 build 36?
>> The big difference here is that 13.1.0 build 36 has automatic power
>> management disabled, it is now enabled in 13.2.0 (not 100% stable just
>> yet, but we continue to shake out the bugs).
>
> Its probably the firmware change rather than a build specific change.
> We turned off unused cores and in q7b23 and that made almost 800mW
> worth of difference across the board in operational power draw.  I'll
> do a plot of your power logs though and confirm.

It appears there is considerable difference between your previous tests
and now.  Last round of logs I have from you prior to this one was March
2nd and prior to that was November 15, 2012 is that correct or did I
miss a batch between November and March?

Here's a ploy of XO-4 only 13.1.0-32 vs 13.2.0-1 all your other XO-4
13.1.0 builds I have were very early and not really interesting from a
power standpoint.

http://dev.laptop.org/~rsmith/auckland_13.1_vs_13.2.png

Your peak decreased which I believe is from your firmware upgrade but
does not explain the whole story.  A closer look at your log file shows
a much, much higher suspend frequency in 13.2.  In your 13.1 tests you
had perhaps 1 or 2 suspends whereas in the 13.2 log files almost every
other line is a suspend event.

You didn't change your testing procedure did you?  Something that would
allow for more idleness?

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child