minimizing footprint

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sun Mar 24 18:34:56 EDT 2013

i think the point john (gilmore) was making is that it's a bad
precedent that simply because a) systemd offers a second-rate API for
scheduling events, and b) we only have a couple of uses for an event
scheduler, that we should therefore switch from a well-established API
to a lousy API.  instead, if systemd can be made to support the cron
API properly, it would be worth making it do so.

barring that, or if it's too much work (likely), then if it saves us
boatloads of disk to make the switch, and our use-cases don't lose
functionality or correctness as a result, then i guess we should
switch.

but when systemd falls out of favor in a year or two we'll just have
to change things again -- either to something new, or back to cron
(which will most certainly still be available).

paul