[support-gang] switching libertas driver into AP mode in XO-1.75?

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 02:48:43 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Anna wrote:
> > So unless someone comes out and says, "hey, the XO's wifi does
> > support AP mode," it's gonna have to be an external dongle.
>
> No, the XO's wifi does not provide AP mode.

Thanks, quozl, I was hoping someone would reply with an answer exactly like
yours.  And to clarify the situation for everyone, as this is a common
question.

There's a need to plug in a USB wifi dongle for hostapd for the eth1
schoolserver wifi, as that makes the schoolserver XSCE XO totally
independent from wires.  No ethernet cables, external wifi APs that need
external power.  And operating within the constraints of the XO's internal
battery.  Sit it on a table, no wires at all, you have an XS that'll run as
long as the internal battery powers it.

Not sure how it's going to go with all the various wifi dongles out there,
because even with "regular Linux" it's always a crapshoot when you buy
something.  I just happened to hit the wifi dongle lottery with my few odd,
cheap purchases.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham