video broken on 1.75?

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Mar 19 22:38:35 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Looking at codec info via VLC tells me that the resolution is 320x180
> but Display Resolution is 320x192
> I don't know enough about this to know the difference. How should I
> got about encoding the MP4 differently?

Maybe try:

ffmpeg2theora -x 320 -y 192

I guess this might distort the video very slightly as you are not
scaling evenly from the original format. If you put time into it you
could probably find a way to do it in a non-distorting way (adding
black bars around the edge to leave the video content as-is).

> BTW, it works fine on a XO-1. Is that because it only does software
> decoding on the XO-1?

In both your XO-1.75 case and the XO-1 case the decoding is done in
software. The accelerated part is the transfer of pixel data from
memory onto the screen. And this acceleration does work at "odd"
resolutions. So without code-level diagnosis it is not immediately
obvious what the problem is.

Actually, until you've tried rescaling, we're not even sure this is
the problem in question, the resolution thing is just a guess.

Daniel