OLPC France 12.1.0 testing results

lionel at olpc-france.org lionel at olpc-france.org
Sat Mar 16 18:49:01 EDT 2013

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer.

> According to testing within OLPC, 12.1.0 should not introduce significant
performance issues here.
> 13.1.0 is where the significant slowdowns are introduced. We will try to
work on this.

I've done some quick tests today on a XO-1 with 12.1.0 and you're right, I
don't see any significant performance difference.

BTW I've found a very strange issue on 12.1.0:
I've downloaded the Tuxmath activity and installed the .xo file from the
Sugar App Store (http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en/sugar/addon/4271).
As you probably know, Tuxmath don't works on Sugar 0.96+ because the
activity.info has the wrong format (bundle_id and exec property).
When I update the activity.info from the Tuxmath.activity/activity directory
of the installed activity, Tuxmath works.
But if I update the activity.info into the bundle BEFORE installing the .xo
file, Tuxmath failed to start:

	Traceback (most recent call last):
	 File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 154, in <module>
	   main()
	 File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 110, in main
	   class_name = splitted_module[1]
	IndexError: list index out of range
	Exited with status 1, pid 771 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>',
mode 'w' at 0x9e037b0>, '5ee72dfc5e569afc13a4ca91e0b5e2628747b919')

I've retried the packaging of the activity several times on several machines
without understanding how the comportment could differ.
Is there any reason for that?

> I'm sorry that the image has grown a bit. It is a battle that we haven't
had enough resources to fight well enough.

The growing of the image come with very nice features (Gtk3, WebKit, ...) so
we can live with that!

> You probably already know, what we recommend here is
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder

Yes it's my next task to try OS Builder. In the meantime, Tony send me its
magic script to delete/install activity bundle. So, I've got a B plan if my
learning curve is too long :-)

Best regards from France.

	Lionel.