OLPC France 12.1.0 testing results

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Mar 16 11:43:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM,  <lionel at olpc-france.org> wrote:
> We're currently preparing the 2013 mission to our Nosy Komba deployment: 150
> XO-1 + 50 XO-1.5.
> So, a team of volunteer have tested on 12.1.0/Sugar 0.96 our 63 activities
> currently deployed there on OLPC 883/Sugar 0.94.1.
> I know it's a "hot topic" here :-) so following is the result of our test.

Thanks a lot for the report. This kind of thing is always very
interesting and useful.

> ·         Fix the last issue regarding hulahop incompatibility on 3
> activities (Map, Madagascar, HelpFR),

I'm sure you will find help here if this proves challenging.

> ·         Do intensive testing on XO-1 to check the performance issue
> mentioned here recently (most of our testing has been done on SoaS or
> XO-1.5),

According to testing within OLPC, 12.1.0 should not introduce
significant performance issues here.
13.1.0 is where the significant slowdowns are introduced. We will try
to work on this.

> ·         Try to optimize the size of our bundle to adapt to the new size of
> free space on 12.1.0,

I'm sorry that the image has grown a bit. It is a battle that we
haven't had enough resources to fight well enough.

> ·         Find a new way to create our bundle. Until this year we've got a
> customization key but unfortunately it's not supported now: we can't
> deployed 63 activities, one by one on 200 XO!

You probably already know, what we recommend here is
Feel free to ask any questions on devel at lists.laptop.org

If your laptops are secured, get in contact with OLPC (with a list of
serial numbers) to help unlock them.

I imagine for a project like yours, you will appreciate the simplicity
added overall (i.e. removing the step where you have to use the
customization stick), even though you will face a small learning curve