OLPC France 12.1.0 testing results

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Mar 16 11:43:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM,  <lionel at olpc-france.org> wrote:
> We're currently preparing the 2013 mission to our Nosy Komba deployment: 150
> XO-1 + 50 XO-1.5.
>
> So, a team of volunteer have tested on 12.1.0/Sugar 0.96 our 63 activities
> currently deployed there on OLPC 883/Sugar 0.94.1.
>
> I know it's a "hot topic" here :-) so following is the result of our test.

Thanks a lot for the report. This kind of thing is always very
interesting and useful.

> ·         Fix the last issue regarding hulahop incompatibility on 3
> activities (Map, Madagascar, HelpFR),

I'm sure you will find help here if this proves challenging.

> ·         Do intensive testing on XO-1 to check the performance issue
> mentioned here recently (most of our testing has been done on SoaS or
> XO-1.5),

According to testing within OLPC, 12.1.0 should not introduce
significant performance issues here.
13.1.0 is where the significant slowdowns are introduced. We will try
to work on this.

> ·         Try to optimize the size of our bundle to adapt to the new size of
> free space on 12.1.0,

I'm sorry that the image has grown a bit. It is a battle that we
haven't had enough resources to fight well enough.

> ·         Find a new way to create our bundle. Until this year we've got a
> customization key but unfortunately it's not supported now: we can't
> deployed 63 activities, one by one on 200 XO!

You probably already know, what we recommend here is
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder
Feel free to ask any questions on devel at lists.laptop.org

If your laptops are secured, get in contact with OLPC (with a list of
serial numbers) to help unlock them.

I imagine for a project like yours, you will appreciate the simplicity
added overall (i.e. removing the step where you have to use the
customization stick), even though you will face a small learning curve
first.

Thanks
Daniel