[support-gang] Customization Sticks fails on 13.1.0 & 12.1.0 for XO-1

Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Mar 12 23:16:22 EDT 2013

On 3/12/2013 10:21 PM, John Watlington wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Holt wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2013 10:08 PM, John Watlington wrote:
>>> Please don't redistribute secure laptops --- OLPC's policy since early 2009 has
>>> been to deprecate the security system.   The exceptions have been deployments
>>> "large" enough to have dedicated support staff capable of handling their own keys.
>> I wish :)  We have no choice but to continue to distribute secure laptops in Haiti as these are Give1Get1 redonations that are already (largely) moved from the USA to Haiti where the developer key process is unrealistic+overwhelming to largely offline deployments.
> No more unrealistic than upgrading them.   All it takes is running a collector
> USB key over the laptops, mailing or emailing the small text file generated to the
> US, and receiving a small text file back.

Hmm, we'll consider it but honestly when we head to rural Haiti
deployment(s) without reliable mail services for some one-time orphanage
deployment/update visits starting this wkd, the above might not work.

I supposed we could consider dev keys by text/SMS in theory?

Realistically I say far better to invite you down to carry them in by
motorcycle--Haiti's a shockingly beautiful, eternally misunderstood and
increasingly stable place--while Spirit's flights from the US remain not
so much more than last year's $59.

Early photos here: http://flickr.com/tiAyiti

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !