[support-gang] Customization Sticks fails on 13.1.0 & 12.1.0 for XO-1

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Mar 11 22:44:39 EDT 2013

On 03/11/2013 10:08 PM, John Watlington wrote:

>> Nod. Kejector for small deployments is new to me.  I thought keyjector was only for special cases.
>>
>> I don't think most of the folks on say the support-gang list have any idea that keyjector is an option for them.
>
> I don't think it is an option.   A keyjector should not be made publicly available.

That is more along the line of what I thought was status quo.

> Please don't redistribute secure laptops --- OLPC's policy since early 2009 has
> been to deprecate the security system.   The exceptions have been deployments
> "large" enough to have dedicated support staff capable of handling their own keys.

That policy is fine but perhaps needs to be more visible to the people
going into areas where secure laptops were distributed and we should try
to be helpful to those people when they request developer keys.

The point of my comments was clarification that olpc-os-builder is not
an end all solution to the lack of the customization key not working
anymore and should not be offered up as such.

Doing customization by a bash script after boot is a fine solution and
now people can invest time in polishing that script.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child