gray dots forever: when 12.1.0 & 13.1.0 never fully boot (XO-1 especially? 11.3.1 too)

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Mar 11 10:23:15 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 3/10/2013 3:39 PM, Nancie Severs wrote:
>
> Going to 12 and 13, I am still getting a % of XOs that get stuck at the grey
> dots when booting after the reflash is complete. Richard Smith figured out
> that this is a Pretty Boot issue. He had a workaround that worked on an XO
> 1.5, but I have not been successful had getting that to work on an XO 1.0.
>

> I've the same issue with an XO-1 running Release 11.3.1 -- it was previously
> running March 6th's 13.1.0
>
> Now it freezes at the end of prettyboot (once all grey dots have formed a
> circle).

I think this is the first report we have of this issue. To diagnose
further, it would be good if someone could hook up a serial console
and log the boot messages. I know it's not trivial to have this
available, but I can't think of other debugging approaches.

Also, it is always helpful to know at exactly which point the system
hangs. In Adam's case this was stated clearly (I interpret: once all
the dots in the circle go dark grey after they have 'spun around' for
a while) but in Nancie's case it wasn't.

The other thing to keep in mind is that first boot takes longer than
subsequent boot. So be sure to have a little patience before declaring
the system as hung.

Daniel