Customization Sticks fails on 13.1.0 & 12.1.0 for XO-1

Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Mar 9 12:05:49 EST 2013

As we're leaving to a 250 XO-1 deployment in Haiti within days, George
Hunt & I were fine-tuning Nick Doiron's Haiti customization stick of 19
Sugar Activities (
http://sugarlabs.org/~holt/haiti-shalom-activities-2011-2012/ ) only to
discover http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_stick no longer works
on Release 13.1.0 and 12.1.0.

Attached Screenshot JPG shows Customization Stick failing on 13.1.0,
also transcribed here:

     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/init", line 32, in do_in_child
         try: work()
       File "/init", line 53, in unpack_bundles
         lout(['/bin/mkdir', '-p', v])
       File "/process.py", line 118, in lout
         raise CalledProcessError(ret, cmd)
     CalledProcessError: Command '['/bin/mkdir', '-p',
'/sysroot/home/olpc/.bootanim']' returned non-zero
      exit status 1
     Bundle installation complete; powering off in five seconds.

Release 12.1.0 shows the same error, /falsely announcing "Bundle
installation complete"./

Is this resolvable?  We'd rather not, but we'll revert to Release 11.3.1
if nec, the last OS where http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_stick
works.  Screenshot of success (on Release 11.3.1) attached to illustrate
normal working behavior.  (Showing a new activity installing every
second or few as desired, scrolling one per line, right before powering
off...)

All tips appreciated, cheers & thanks!

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net