Changing track

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Thu Mar 7 11:00:20 EST 2013

Hello devel!

I haven't been posting here often enough. After a year of enormous
effort, we are approaching start of mass production with XO-4. It is
time for me to announce my departure from OLPC.

My work at OLPC has been a demanding one and I have given it all my
energy. But I have a young family in a foreign country, and I find
that I need
to take things easier and find a bit more personal time.

It has been a great run of ~7 years with OLPC, ~5 of them with a
formal position in the organization, and it has been a great pleasure
to be part of this. Hacking, disagreeing and designing... looking for
a better widget, for a different world for our children.

I continue to be amazed at how hard it is... and at how much you
accomplish on the ground. But all those accomplishments involve more
hands than the members of devel at l.l.o (and related lists). A lot more
hands. We should always remember and respect the teachers and
technicians dealing with problems every day. Problems that may seem
trivial for us while we type an email or update a wikipage, but that
are huge when you don't know the fix, or your don't have the tools or
parts handy, and you are singlehandedly supporting a school of
hundreds of kids with XOs.

John Watlington will be taking over my responsibilities. We have in
fact been working as a team covering HW and SW with our respective
strengths.. We share style and background with OLPC. There is not much
of a transition to worry about, he has been involved in all major
decisions, including hiring me back in 2008 (now you know who to blame!).

I am not completely disappearing from the scene -- I'll stay on
devel at l.l.o :-) I will continue to be involved in e-learning projects
with Moodle and to be part of OLPC's "extended family". Bear in mind I
cannot promise much time involvement -- I will be starting a new job
and prioritizing personal time.

My last day with OLPC will be March 8th. After that, martin at laptop.org
will be no more, and martin.langhoff at gmail.com is where you can reach
me.