Different boot sound on XO1.75

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jun 20 18:31:59 EDT 2013

So I've woken up.

The moved startup sound happened in Q4D26 [1] [2] and was intended
not to be noticed, since it should be on the filesystem after an
upgrade.  I'm kind of glad somebody noticed.  ;-) It shows other
combinations are being tested.

You can fix the problem on your XO-1.75 with 13.1.0 and Q4D28 by
downgrading to a version before Q4D26, copying the startup
sound, and then upgrading to Q4D28:

	ok copy rom:splash int:\boot\jingle.wav

You can also replace the startup sound with something else.  But some
sample rates, sample formats, or channel counts are invalid ... it is
best to use the existing sound as a basis for obtaining these.  The
sound should not be unduly long.

There are reasons why people upgrade to newer firmware, but some care
is needed.  Only yesterday I found sound was broken on an XO-1.75 with
12.1.0, because I had upgraded the firmware.  Daniel pointed out this
is #12637.  Upgrading the kernel to the latest 13.2.0 kernel fixed it.
Another example of mixing versions on purpose.